The following persons or entities shall be permitted access to the information in the controlled substances database, subject to the limitations indicated below:
(1) Authorized representatives of the certifying boards, provided, however, that access shall be limited to inquiries concerning the licensees of the certifying board.
(2) A licensed practitioner approved by the department who has authority to prescribe, dispense, or administer controlled substances, provided, however, that such access shall be limited to information concerning a current or prospective patient of the practitioner. Practitioners shall have no requirement or obligation to access or check the information in the controlled substances database prior to prescribing, dispensing, or administering medications or as part of their professional practice.
(3) A licensed pharmacist approved by the department, provided, however, that such access is limited to information related to the patient or prescribing practitioner designated on a controlled substance prescription that a pharmacist has been asked to fill. Pharmacists shall have no requirement or obligation to access or check the information in the controlled substances database prior to dispensing or administering medications or as part of their professional practices.
(4) State and local law enforcement authorities as authorized under Section 20-2-91, and federal law enforcement authorities authorized to access prescription information upon application to the department accompanied by an affidavit stating probable cause for the use of the requested information.
(5) Employees of the department and consultants engaged by the department for operational and review purposes.