Dietetics/nutrition is the integration and application of principles derived from the sciences of nutrition, biochemistry, physiology, food, management, and behavioral and social sciences to achieve and maintain people's health. The primary function of dietetic practice is the provision of nutrition care services which shall include:
- (1) Assessing the nutritional needs of individuals and groups, and determining resources and constraints in the practice setting.
- (2) Establishing priorities, goals and objectives that meet nutritional needs and are consistent with available resources and constraints.
- (3) Providing nutrition counseling in health and disease.
- (4) Developing, implementing and managing nutrition care systems.
- (5) Evaluating, making changes in and maintaining appropriate standards of quality in food and nutrition services.
(Acts 1989, No. 89-866, p. 1733, §4.)